Thursday, July 2, 2009

Insomnia and Values


Shit I haven't slept properly for three days. Insomnia is a bitch. I'm at that point of sleep deprivation where I'm not sure if I'm alive or dead anymore, my whole being is emotionless.
Hopefully sleep tonight.
One thing that has been keeping me awake is a certain social situation, based around infidelity, and what is seemingly attributed to the person in question having a lack of moral values.

Growing up I didn't have much, but I never realised at the time that the way my family lived was not normal. The town I grew up in lost a lot of industry in the first five years of my live, forcing my father to take unskilled cash jobs doing whatever he could, especially hard after mum left. Some nights there wasn't food on the table, I was always thin and had to make my own toys, but I still had a ball.

Dad always bought me books, no matter how broke he was he made every effort to keep me educated. He taught me three values which I still hold today:
Pride: In what you have, in your work, and in who you are.
Honour: for your peers, for those whom have worked hard and achieved, and for those whom died for your cause.
Respect: For your fellow man, as we are all brothers. As Hemmingway said:
"No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were: any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."

If this certain chap who by his moral conflict is disturbing my sleep, were to inherit even one of these three traits, then maybe he would not ask himself why his life is not what he expected. One can blame luck on famine or fortune, but the odds are stacked in your favour if you adhere to the above.

No comments:

Post a Comment